- So complicated that nobody knows how it works, which causes Canadian
social scientists to talk about it all the time, which causes foreigners
to say it's boring because nothing ever happens.
- The most decentralized country in existence, which causes Canadians
to complain constantly about the power of the central government.
- Administered under the third oldest constitution in the world, which
causes Canadians to insist that it has never worked and must be changed.
- The only major country in which the two leading western cultures have
managed to live peacefully together for several centuries, causing
Canadians to insist that they cannot live together.
- Burdened by the laziest élite of any developed nation; people
who have made their fortunes selling off the country's resources and by
working for more energetic foreigners. They are most comfortable on
their knees, admiring those from larger countries who have purchased
- A country where 95 per cent of the land is north of the major cities,
which causes its urban inhabitants to treat the their hinterland as
an embarrassing and backward region, while pretending that they
themselves are situated hundreds of miles to the south, somewhere between
New York and Florida.
Excerpt from The Doubter's Companion, Copyright 1994, John
Last HTML revision: 12 July, 1995.